Bozo's Blues
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh-American blogger on SWP flicking the Vs at Southgate

4 posters

Go down

Welsh-American blogger on SWP flicking the Vs at Southgate Empty Welsh-American blogger on SWP flicking the Vs at Southgate

Post by neblue1 October 31st 2008, 17:59

http://www.epltalk.com/adventures-of-shaun-wright-phillips-and-the-v-sign-hand-gesture/3542

Of course I know what throwing up two fingers means on your side of the Atlantic, but even still as an American I couldn't not be amused by this article.
neblue1
neblue1
Georgi Kinkladze's Left Boot

Male
Number of posts : 1146
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Back to top Go down

Welsh-American blogger on SWP flicking the Vs at Southgate Empty Re: Welsh-American blogger on SWP flicking the Vs at Southgate

Post by Admin October 31st 2008, 18:41

Pretty pathetic, I can't believe it's even been picked up on.
Stuff like this will ruin football.

Admin
Colin Bell's Left Testicle

Number of posts : 8222
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Welsh-American blogger on SWP flicking the Vs at Southgate Empty Re: Welsh-American blogger on SWP flicking the Vs at Southgate

Post by neblue1 October 31st 2008, 19:32

Bozo wrote:Pretty pathetic, I can't believe it's even been picked up on.
Stuff like this will ruin football.
Well, in fairness, you all over there know what that means; I'm willing to guess that maybe half of the Americans that support Premiership clubs don't. Just like how at least 15 people have asked me this week what the wearing poppys is all about.
neblue1
neblue1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by stony October 31st 2008, 19:38

The stuff about the bow fingers is made up bullshit.

stony

Number of posts : 10352
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by neblue1 October 31st 2008, 19:44

stony wrote:The stuff about the bow fingers is made up bullshit.
What exactly is the etymology of that? I mean, I know what the gesture means, but I've always heard conflicting stories about where it comes from.
neblue1
neblue1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bluealf October 31st 2008, 20:39

It has been on some credible history programs ?

What makes you think its bullshit stony ?
bluealf
bluealf

Male
Number of posts : 9248
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by stony October 31st 2008, 21:01

bluealf wrote:

It has been on some credible history programs ?

What makes you think its bullshit stony ?

It was on QI, that font of all knowledge Stephen Fry, proclaimed it bullshit. Apparently if you research it, no reference can be found before the 1970s.
Shame really, because it was one of my favourite little snippets and it's one of those things that should be true.

stony

Back to top Go down

Post by stony October 31st 2008, 21:05

neblue1 wrote:
What exactly is the etymology of that? I mean, I know what the gesture means, but I've always heard conflicting stories about where it comes from.

I always believed that the 'bow finger' story to be true, I was wrong though. I haven't got a clue where the gesture comes from, I think Stephen Fry offered an explanation on QI but I can't recall what it was. I just remember being disappointed that the bow finger tale wasn't true.

stony

Back to top Go down

Post by bluealf October 31st 2008, 21:16

Yeah thats a shame, il iked that story too
bluealf
bluealf

Male
Number of posts : 9248
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin October 31st 2008, 22:04

I do think the 'bow finger' story is true

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by stony October 31st 2008, 23:06

Bozo wrote:I do think the 'bow finger' story is true

But it's not, there are no references to the bow finger story anywhere until the 1970s when it suddenly appeared.

stony

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest November 1st 2008, 00:19

stony wrote:

But it's not, there are no references to the bow finger story anywhere until the 1970s when it suddenly appeared.

You referring to Agincourt?

I tend to think it has some basis in what we see today. Not saying that that it was THE origin as such but am fairly certain it has a direct link.

Back to top Go down

Post by stony November 1st 2008, 00:20

mackenzie wrote:
stony wrote:

I tend to think it has some basis in what we see today. Not saying that that it was THE origin as such but am fairly certain it has a direct link.

It's just not true Sharon, Stephen Fry has spoken!

stony

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin November 1st 2008, 01:43

stony wrote:
mackenzie wrote:
stony wrote:

It's just not true Sharon, Stephen Fry has spoken!

There has to be a bit of a link.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum