Bozo's Blues
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting (albeit old) New York Times piece re Faroe Isles

2 posters

Go down

Interesting (albeit old) New York Times piece re Faroe Isles Empty Interesting (albeit old) New York Times piece re Faroe Isles

Post by neblue1 July 11th 2008, 08:57

http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/03/25/travel/tmagazine/03well.faroes.t.html

I've been Wikipediaing and stuff about the Faroe Islands trying to learn a little bit about this place that City are going to for their first UEFA Cup qualifier, and I came across this good travelogue-ish story in the NYT from March 07. Nothing about football, really, but I was reading through it and looking at the photos and I came to the following conclusion: I wouldn't be against going there someday.

My favorite line in the story, though: "When the Vikings first arrived, they made rock foundations in the shapes of their boats, turned the boats over on top of the rocks and then, to stabilize and insulate these makeshift houses, put sod on the hulls of the boats. It is not uncommon to come upon a Faroese mowing his roof."
neblue1
neblue1
Georgi Kinkladze's Left Boot

Male
Number of posts : 1146
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Back to top Go down

Interesting (albeit old) New York Times piece re Faroe Isles Empty Re: Interesting (albeit old) New York Times piece re Faroe Isles

Post by TheMightyQuinn July 11th 2008, 19:05

I just like the word 'sod' Twisted Evil

TheMightyQuinn
Colin Bell's Left Testicle

Male
Number of posts : 6885
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Back to top Go down