Bozo's Blues
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Owen thinks Keegan is a sh*te manager

3 posters

Go down

Owen thinks Keegan is a sh*te manager Empty Owen thinks Keegan is a sh*te manager

Post by AntonDonJuan January 17th 2008, 16:14

Newcastle's Michael Owen says playing under Kevin Keegan with England left him "scarred".

In an autobiography, the normally reticent Owen said the relationship between manager and striker deteriorated to such an extent that Keegan was depicted as briefing against the then-20-year-old striker before the Euro 2000 match against Romania.

"A team meeting was called to discuss the Romanians and Keegan set off on a 20-minute lecture about me. 'Michael, if I was any other manager you would not be playing tomorrow. You've got to improve or we'll have to change'.

"I really started to resent him - not as a man but as a manager. With a quarter of an hour gone I thought, 'Sod him, I'm playing my own game. I know I'm good.' Then I scored and the relief was immense," Owen wrote.

Critical

In another passage that will be of particular interest to those who denounce Keegan as a tactician, Owen revealed that he was asked to play as a link-man rather than on the shoulder of the last defender in order to utilise his pace.

"In training all week Keegan had kept me behind, playing balls into me and telling me what he wanted me to do," he complained. "I assume the manager had conveyed to his staff what he thought of me - and plainly it wasn't complimentary. If I did one tiny thing wrong there would be a rush of critical comment.

"I used to go into games believing that the opposition was scared of me and that nothing could get in my way. That feeling, that belief, evaporated at times when I played under Keegan. It was a dark phase in my career," he concluded.
AntonDonJuan
AntonDonJuan
Colin Bell's Left Testicle

Male
Number of posts : 5666
Registration date : 2008-01-07

Back to top Go down

Owen thinks Keegan is a sh*te manager Empty Re: Owen thinks Keegan is a sh*te manager

Post by Chlamydia January 17th 2008, 16:19

Haha where've you got that from
Chlamydia
Chlamydia
Michael Johnson's Barman

Male
Number of posts : 991
Location : Comin into Los Angeles, bringin in a couple of keys, dont touch my bags if you please Mr customs man
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Back to top Go down

Owen thinks Keegan is a sh*te manager Empty Re: Owen thinks Keegan is a sh*te manager

Post by AntonDonJuan January 17th 2008, 16:21

Sky Sports website. I bet Owen was chuffed when he found out who was the new manager!!!
AntonDonJuan
AntonDonJuan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chlamydia January 17th 2008, 16:24

Link?

(I wanna put it on another forum I go on - I checked on skysports but didn't see anythin)
Chlamydia
Chlamydia
Michael Johnson's Barman

Male
Location : Comin into Los Angeles, bringin in a couple of keys, dont touch my bags if you please Mr customs man

Back to top Go down

Post by AntonDonJuan January 17th 2008, 16:24

Chlamydia wrote:Link?

(I wanna put it on another forum I go on - I checked on skysports but didn't see anythin)
There you go mate

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3054731,00.html
AntonDonJuan
AntonDonJuan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chlamydia January 17th 2008, 16:25

Bwahahahahhaha! This will wind the geordies up
Chlamydia
Chlamydia
Michael Johnson's Barman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BMO5 January 19th 2008, 15:25

He's captain now!!!
BMO5
BMO5
Georgi Kinkladze's Left Boot

Male
Number of posts : 1013
Location : Trapped in bed, as the poison slowly creeps and stops me dead
Registration date : 2008-01-17

http://WWW.MYSPACE.COM/ANDYWOODHOUSEMUSIC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum